This post contains affiliate links from various advertisers which may earn me commissions should you click and make a purchase. I make a small commission which supports my work with children and teens.
This is how to make Gong Bao Chicken. The meal I am going to share takes about 40 minutes to prepare and it is worth the wait and trouble. I have just had my first Gong Bao Chicken experience and I have loved every bit of it! Not only is it tasty, it is also the best chicken to combine with a rice dish. Making it is also an adventure in itself.
The story behind Gong Bao Chicken
Gong Bao chicken is a spicy stir-fry dish made that combines vegetables, groundnuts and chili peppers with chicken. The dish has its roots in the Sichuan Province in South Western China. It is believed to have been named after Ding Baozhen, who was a governor in the Sichuan Province (1820 – 1886). Because Ding Baozhen’s official title was Gongbao, the chicken dish derives its name from this title.
Philips HD3017 Rice Cooker
Cooking rice has never been easy! This Philips HD3017 rice cooker will be a good investment. It comes with a 5-layer golden inner pot that generates more heat and transmits it evenly for a refined taste. Trust us, Philips brings out the best taste in your rice.
Buy this Philips HD3017 Rice Cooker on this link. Buying through this link enables me to earn as an affiliate marketer so I can continue my work with boys in juvenile prison through Lifesong Kenya.
How to Make Gong Bao Chicken
Gong Bao Chicken Ingredients
- 3 boneless chicken breasts cut into half inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 10 dried red chillies, chopped into pieces
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 piece of ginger root, finely sliced
- 1 bunch of chopped scallions, white part only
- Half a cup of roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- a tablespoon of light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Chinese rice vinegar
- Sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Boil rice in a separate container without salt or oil
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and marinate the chicken
- Cover for about 20 minutes
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside
- Heat oil in a frying pan then stir chilies and peppers until crisp
- Add pieces of chicken and stir
- When they turn white, add garlic, ginger root and scallions
- Stir the mixture until the chicken is cooked
- Pour in the sauce, stir until everything is mixed
- Add peanuts and serve immediately
This portion serves three
Hope you will enjoy making gong bao chicken. It is always good to try out new recipes. Not only will your family have varieties to choose from, it also helps in turning normal dishes into attractive and nutritious choices.As usual, I would like to get feedback. Has learning how to make Gong Bao Chicken offered you an alternative to turning plain chicken and rice into a masterpiece?
Are you a parent who enjoys cooking and would like to share your skills with our readers? Feel free to get in touch for a chance to be featured on our blog and a possible lunch date at a local restaurant.
Thanks for using my links to make purchases. I make a small commission which supports my work with children and teens.